“Food is a passion. Food is love.”
For those with a sweet tooth, this healthy recipe for cacao truffles is for you! Antioxidant-rich cacao nibs are becoming a popular addition to baked goods, providing numerous health benefits compared to conventional store bought chocolate candy, bars, and powders. Check out the useful health benefit chart below, provided by Raw For Beauty:
I’ve been experimenting with cacao nibs in the kitchen and have successfully made several batches of these healthy, organic, gluten-free, and dairy-free truffles with amazing feedback from my taste testers. These make a perfect snack for those on the go, or a guilt-free dessert to serve after a delicious meal. Let me know what you think and if you make any successful modifications, please share in the comment section below! : )
Recipe for this little lark’s Simply Divine Orange Zest Cacao Truffles:
Ingredients (click on the underlined ingredients for great savings via vitacost.com)
- 1/2 cup of certified organic raw cacao nibs
- 3/4- 1 cup of certified organic walnuts
- 3 tbsp organic raw honey (or preferred natural sweetener)
- 1 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 1/4 cup organic coconut flakes
- zest of organic orange or tangerine
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped nuts, raw cacao powder, and/or organic coconut flakes (for toppings)
- Grind the walnuts in a food processor to reach a flour-like consistency
- Add the cacao nibs to the walnut meal and process until the two are blended well
- Add the raw honey and coconut oil. Mix to form a dough-like paste.
- Add and mix coconut flakes and orange zest.
- Roll ~2 dozen bite-sized balls.
- Roll each truffle in either finely chopped nuts, raw cocoa powder, or shredded coconut. Toppings are optional.
- Store in the freezer or refrigerator.
Yields ~ 2 dozen truffles